Popular blogger Diana Gale shares her quick fix recipe for Carbonara with Bacon & Mushrooms. Diana who is a FTWM with two kids, started cooking and baking when she was 11. She started blogging to document recipes that were handed down to her, as well as recipes that she tried and tweaked over the years. It has since grown into a passion, and in the 2.5 years she has documented about 450 recipes.
She says “It is my hope that by demystifying and simplifying the process of cooking and baking, more people will try to cook and/or bake at home. I believe that few things can make one as happy as when one’s food is appreciated by others.” She shares this amazingly simple yet delicious recipe which is sure to make you forget the bottled carbonara you’ve been buying.
- 250g linguine (or any other pasta), cooked according to the instructions given by the manufacturer, and drained
- 200g streaky bacon, cut 8-10mm thick chunks
- 6 medium shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cook the pasta – I like linguine or penne for this – in salted boiling water according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a skillet, add the bacon and a little water. Cook the bacon until crispy.
- Add the mushrooms and cook a further 2 minutes. Set this aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cream, Parmesan, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the pasta into the skillet then add the sauce.
- Mix to coat the pasta. The heat from the skillet, bacon, mushrooms and pasta will cook the yolks.
- Add the remaining Parmesan and mix until combined. Add more black pepper if required.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This is a really quick pasta dish, so make sure you have everything ready before you start cooking.